Tuesday, 10 June 2014

Summer reads


Once school finishes in just over 6 weeks' time, I'm planning on devoting some quality time to trying to make a dent in my extensive 'to read' list on my goodreads account. (I also have a 'to read again' list just to make matters worse!)

Here's what's currently top of my list for my summer reading...


The Cuckoo's Calling | Robert Galbraith (aka J. K. Rowling)
I've never read anything by J. K. Rowling (yes, I can hear you gasp with horror!). I hear she's quite a good writer (!) so I thought this would be a good choice for me, since I'll probably never read Harry Potter.



Gone Girl | Gillian Flynn
You may remember me saying how I don't like jumping on the bandwagon by reading books that everyone's talking about just for the sake of it. Well this is the perfect example of a book that there's a buzz about that I will actually read...because from the blurb, it sounds like a book I'll really enjoy.



Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet | Jamie Ford
Some friends and I have just started a book club, and decided on this as our second book. I love that being part of a book club will force me to be a little bit less narrow-minded about my reading choices by forcing me to read things I wouldn't choose myself!



One Summer: American, 1927 | Bill Bryson
I've only ever read one Bill Bryson book, Shakespeare: The World as a Stage, which I enjoyed very much. I thought I might want to give him another go at some point so I persuaded my housemate to buy it on one of our 'let's go down the book aisle at the supermarket to see if there's anything decent' adventures. I LOVE history, so I am expecting to find this book really interesting. Desperately hoping it doesn't disappoint.



The Lie | Helen Dunmore
I bought this book on the same trip as mentioned above. It's very unlike me to pick a book up off a shelf without ever having heard of it or knowing anything about the author, being wary of the quality of the writing. A quick Google search revealing a 5-star rating on the Telegraph website, along with a £3.50 price tag, was enough to convince me to buy it. I was already thinking about which WW1 book to read next (I am a little bit obsessed with books to do with the two World Wars). Not sure what to expect from this but being open-minded!



Captain Corelli's Mandolin | Louis de Berni√®res
I felt I had to put a classic on the list and having watched the end of Notting Hill the other day, this one seemed a good choice!

What's on your summer reading list this year?



2 comments:

  1. Fabulous list, Steph! This is the best list of summer reading I've seen, in that it's in line with my reading interests. THANK YOU for taking the time to put this together and share it!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, thanks Donna! Really kind of you to say so :) I'm glad my list is something you think you'll enjoy! We should compare notes at the end of the summer :)

      Delete